Monday, September 19, 2011

Roll with it

If you’re a runner, I’m sure you’re very well acquainted with the dreaded foam roller. I got news for you. There’s a better option out there. During last year’s marathon training, I had all sorts of aches and pains and somehow found myself at a body rolling class. Body rolling is exactly how it sounds- you roll your body on these little bouncy balls to help release and lengthen your tight muscles.

Image source


It doesn’t hurt nearly as much as the foam roller and, at least in my opinion, the results are a whole lot better. It’s like giving yourself a massage.

Well I had forgotten all about the wonderfulness that is body rolling until I got an email from my favorite body roller/yoga teacher/acupuncturist. She was holding a workshop for runners and it was all about the legs. That sounds like exactly what I needed. After 2 hours of rolling around on these little bouncy balls, my legs felt completely relaxed and longer. It was amazing. Intense body rolling also makes me feel a little high, so that’s a very pleasant side effect. Now I have a new tool to make this hamstring 100%. I know that if I want to increase my flexibility and work out all the kinks in my legs, I need to body roll more. Note to my friends: If you come over to my apartment, you’ll probably find me sitting on some bouncy balls. It might be weird, but you’ve been forewarned.


No comments:

Post a Comment