Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Who Knew?

Ok. I’ve been doing Bikram yoga let’s say an average of 4 days a week for the last 2 years. It’s surprising to me that I still learn things. Especially something like how to stretch. I don’t think I was doing it right all this time.

We do a pose called locust where you put your arms under your body. You’re supposed to move the weight to your arms and shoulders and stretch your leg back. It’s not very comfortable, and I hate this pose mostly because I can’t do it. I’ve been trying all this time to move the weight to my arms, THEN stretch my legs back. It ends up with me just getting stuck. Turns out I have to do them both simultaneously. Then things just sort of fall into place. I had so much success in this pose, that I decided to apply this discovery to other poses. I was able to get deeper, and even lock my knee! A huge accomplishment for me. I just find it so odd that I can do the same thing week after week and still learn new things. We’ll see if I can remember this in my next class.

Tonight, pilates part 2. We’re focusing on the upper body. This could be bad. Yikes.


No comments:

Post a Comment